Monday, May 2, 2016

True story

Over the weekend, I woke up in the middle of the night with a large spider in my hair.

I don't know whether I woke up first and then ran my hands through my hair, or if I flung my hand up over my head in my sleep and feeling him was what woke me, but in any event, there was very little time between my fingers finding him and me bolting upright and tearing my bed apart looking for him.

I didn't find him again until the next morning. He scurried out from under my quilt while I was making my bed, and I, feeling some responsibility for him now that we'd spent the night together, went to grab a jar so I could carry him outside.

But in the process of scooping, he dragged across my sheets and lost the majority of his legs. I looked in horror at the mess that landed in the bottom of the jar — a jerking, quickly dying, half-spider. Seconds ago, he'd been going about his life. Hours ago, he'd been powerful enough to propel a creature several thousand times his size out of a dead sleep. Now he was fatally wounded and missing several body parts.

I was trying to do the right thing, but instead I delivered hapless destruction.

I feel this is a good analogy for life.


  1. I'm sorry to hear about the spider's demise. I agree that it's a good analogy for life, too.

  2. Since reading "Charlotte's Web," Jon will no longer allow anyone to kill any type of insect or spider. He kept one "Charlotte" in a small jar in his room for about a week until we convinced him to let her live free out in the front yard. Every day on our walk home from school, Jon would search for small insects to give Charlotte to eat.

    He would be very proud of you for trying to save the spider. I probably would have stomped the crap out of it as soon as I saw it in the morning...

    - Meg

    1. Hahaha! Aw, good for Jon!! As I was writing this, I thought this was a good testament to how I've changed over the years, because I definitely wrote many, many entries back on MySpace that ended with some kind of arthropod dying a violent death. :)

      Maybe don't Jon the sequel, though...Aunt Becky found another spider a few days later. I again got out the jar, and successfully scooped him up. After dumping the jar upside down outside, I put the lid back on and the jar went in the cabinet. Several days later, I opened the cabinet only to find the spider still in the jar, deader than a doornail. Apparently he didn't come out of the jar when I turned it upside down. And I again direct us to the second-to-last sentence of this blog entry... :-/